A Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialist analyzes, reviews and implements changes to websites so they are optimized for search engines. This means maximizing the traffic to a site by improving page rank within search engines.
Simply put, in the words of SEO.com, it is the job of the SEO specialist to make your website show up at the top of the search engine results. Ten years ago that job looked a lot different than it does now, and it requires a whole new skill-set from what was needed back then.
A modern specialist must be a problem solver and decision maker, with the ability to prioritize and develop relevant and engaging content. You know the old adage, Content is kingwell, modern SEO specialists know that search engines are placing increasing value on quality content - which will invariably include keyword or phrases that increases traffic to a site.
- Develop optimization strategies that increase the companys search engine results rankings.
- Research SEO keywords to use throughout the companys website and marketing materials.
- Set measurable goals that demonstrate improvement in marketing efforts.
- Monitor daily performance metrics to understand SEO strategy performance.
- Efficiently communicate with other marketing professionals to align goals.
- Collaborate with others within the marketing department to manage SEO strategy.
- Write compelling and high-quality website content, including blog posts and page descriptions.
- Update content and website links for maximum optimization and search engine rankings.
- Two to three years of experience in successfully developing and executing SEO campaigns
- Understanding of search engine algorithms and ranking methods
- Experience with SEO industry programs, such as Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics
- Knowledge of keyword research and data mining tools
- Able to complete competitive analysis of other companies within the industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (email, phone, etc.)
- Comfortable analyzing high volumes of data on a daily basis
- Familiarity with WordPress or other content management systems
- Experience with other aspects of marketing, such as customer growth and promotion, is a plus