Penn Mutual is building a team to create the next generation of applications for our Financial Professionals. The team will be responsible for the design and development of a modern web application that fronts a Java-based back-end system. The application will involve running complex calculations based on a wide variety of Life Insurance products. The application will require a highly reactive user interface and will be used by people both inside and outside of Penn Mutual.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience using Java to build backend APIs, services and experience developing services in cloud native fashion. Candidate will be a self-starter with desire to learn new technologies and solve challenging problems.
Working collaboratively with strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must. Agile delivery methodology is followed, so experience in that world is also desirable.
- Delivers fully tested code on time and with quality
- Design solution and code structure to be following best design patterns to deliver a easy to maintain, sustainable and performant code.
- Ensures all new code is delivered with adequate unit test coverage
- Participates in the discussion and documentation of best practices and standards for application development
- Participates in all Agile team meetings
- Complies with all company policies and procedures
- Remains current in profession and industry trends
- Successfully completes regulatory and job training requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Works in an agile, fast-paced environment with two-week sprint/release cycle
- Collaborates with product owners, front and back-end developers, and user experience teams
- Helps product owners with issue prioritization and contributes to project scoping
- Manages time and expectations to reliable meet sprint commitments
- Reviews requirements, specifications, and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Learn new technologies as needed and build solutions from scratch.
- 8+ years working with Java and related frameworks like Spring
- 5+ years of RESTful webservices development with minimum 2+ years development in the AWS ecosystem
- 2+ years working with XML and related parsing/binding libraries
- 2+ Experience with event-based service implementations
- 2+ Experience working with Messaging Technologies like JMS
- 5+ years of Java API development using Maven for dependency management
- 5+ years of development using both NoSQL and relational databases
- 5+ years using the agile methodology to deliver business value to stakeholders
- 1+ year developing in AWS cloud native or server less approach (ECS, Lambda, IAM, API Gateway, CloudFormation, CodeDeploy, ParameterStore, SecretsManager, CloudWatch, S3)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline.
- Strong understanding of webservice architectures, including both stateless and stateful protocols
- Experience designing and developing applications using Spring technologies beyond core and integration frameworks
- Strong experience developing applications and service in a completely cloud native (AWS preferred) approach.
- Experience with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with Docker containerization
- Experience working with Python for applications or functionalities development.
- Life Insurance industry experience a plus
- Experience with Java concurrency API